Saturday, July 16, 2011

1 down...11 to go!!!

So yesterday was my first chemo and here is how things went...

We walk in to the doctors office sign in and sit and wait for them to call you in the back (I think this was the hardest part for me, just very anxious). They call you in the back and give you a chair number, mine was chair 6 in the corner. Everyone is assigned a specific nurse to administer the chemo (mine for the day was Sonia). So I sat in the chair (Jared by my side) and listened to my nurse explain all the side effects; nausea, fatigue, hair loss, mouth sores, white blood cell drop, more pron to sun burn and taste changes, and that just gets you so excited to get things going :)

So the first thing they do is access you port (which is placed just under my skin on my chest). They have you take a deep breath in and then push a needle through your skin and connect to your port. This is no worse than starting an IV. Now they start with just saline solution. The first thing they did was give me anti nausea medication (yippee!!). The first time the had to give me a test dose of one drug to make sure I won't have an allergic reaction. Two of the drugs are a push and two of the drugs are a drip. My total time there was about 3 hours, this was just for the first time. Most of the time it will take only 1 1/2 to 2 hours. Then that is it they send you home for the day.

I had to return today in the morning to receive my nuelasta shot, this is to help keep my white blood cell count up.

Over all I have been feeling okay, really tired. My taste has pretty much gone so food taste a more bland to me. My mouth has been pretty dry and my finger tips have been numb. Most of the side effects don't take place until about 48 after chemo so I still have some time. I find if I eat small meals through out the day I haven't been feeling nauseous.

Yesterday and today I have been mostly sleeping while Jared picks up the slack around the house. He has been amazing. I slept sound for the first time last night in about 9 months...it was so amazing :) I was actually able to make dinner tonight which felt great too. I am still feeling a little weak but I think that is to be expected.

I will keep you posted on how things are going

xoxo, Jenna

4 comments:

Kurt, Jennifer and family said...

You are so strong and such an inspiration to me! Hang in there and if you ever need anything, please call me! Love ya, Jenn

Swift Family said...

We are so proud of you and the strength you have to keep such a positive attitude during this whole thing. i know you will have no problems beating this one, you are always in our prayers. Love ya, Tawnie & RIley

Mary Jeane said...

Jenna...I've been thinking about you so much..it was good to read your report and know that so far, its tolerable. You and your sweet family are in my prayers!
Love, Mary Jeane

Kathy said...

Hi Jenna!

Thanks for the update! It sounds like it was a scary ordeal to go through----but I'm sure that will be the worst and you will breeze right through the next 11!! How long will you stay tired etc. Hopefully you will feel better between treatments!

I will keep praying for you and your family.

Love, Aunt Kathy